Monday, May 25, 2009

Dots Dots in his mouth

Weekend Scare!

I saw the dots in his mouth earlier on Saturday but I thought it was just milk stains. You see, my milk count has dropped since my cockroach incident. So I have been giving him formula on and off when I'm out of supply. Then my maid asked me in the car "Maam, why titi mouth so many dot dot?" And I went "Huh? Alot?". "Yes, whole mouth also got".

Panic. We stopped out car at the road side in front of Tesco and checked his mouth. Omg. Pengsan. So SO So Sooooooooooooooooooooo many dots!

Off to the hospital and waited for so long.

He was okay all the time. Drinking well. Eating well. Sleeping well. Stil very active. So there is no way that is HFMD. But what da heck is that? We need to know.


See my happy boy?

And when the nurse took his temp and checked him before going into the doctor's room, she asked us "After you feed him milk did you feed him water? I looked at my maid , my maid looked at me. We both answered "NO". She laughed and said "hehe maybe its just fungal infection caused by milk in the mouth".

So we went into the doctors' room and true enough it was oral fungal infection.

Zoomed into the mouth.

Anyone kena before? The fungal infection looks like ulcer but it doesn't have a hole like ulcer and its looks like some flabby fats stickting inside the mouth. So So Geli. Doctor said without direct contact maybe Jayden won't get it. So we're watching out on the 2 monkeys, cos Jayden likes to kiss Justin on lips :P and Justin loves to bite now.So since Jayden doesn'thave direct contact with him, but I have cos I am breastfeeding him! But she said normally adults won't get *Finger crossed* But somehow seeing the infection makes me abit geli cos he drinks from my ahem..... *scratch scratch*

It looks like he is okay. Doctor said its not dangerous unless he has fever and not eating well. Other than that he is fine and we just need to give him some drops to clear the fungus off.

I tell you. Old people saying is really correct. Must listen. My grandma used to tell me "Drink milk already must feed some water so that the kid can gargle off the milk stain". Never occur in my mind that need to feed water cos I am so used to feeding him direct and normally he'll doze off and I'll put him down. And she also always remind me to clean Jayden's mouth and tongue with a clean handkerchief or cotton. I guess she is not around to remind me anymore and I totally forgot about it cos it's been so long since Jayden was a baby. 2.5 years gap and I forgot about things like this already. *smack forehead*

31 comments:

  1. got such thing ah? i also didn't know. must have been a scare esp going through so much already with the 2 boys.

    lucky he's alright...yes, jayden please stay away from your di-di. ur mamimi been through too much already.

    tk care justin, big hugs to u. no kiss this time. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, a lesson to learn. My mom told me the same thing and I've been practising this since Xandria was born. Guess what, Xandria loves to drink water and requested for water after her milk gulping. hahaha...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya lah! People say breastfed babies dont need to drink water! Stupidlah! Now my brat dont like water! Me lah, so stupid never feed him water since baby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope those fungal not causing any uncomfortable to him...

    But really not heard of those oral fungal infection before..it is always a good practise to let them drink water after milk...no matter bm or formula, to clean the mouth and the tongue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ya ka... so far i never IMMEDIATELY give water.. some more, night feed before sleeping.. definitely no water. now i know. i will do it.just to RINSE off.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG! I never see this before. :P
    Me, the lazy mom, just nurse the kids and doze off also last time, dun give water. :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. water is a must. the old ladies will tell you that. breastfeed or not, water is a must. A way to tell if a bbsitter i good is by seeing if she's patient in feeding your baby water coz most babies don't like water.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aiyo babe. I also never give Irfan water to gargle unless he asks for it, which he doesn't very often. My mil pernah tell me lah, must give water after drink milk so that teeth also not rotten. I think the dentist also pernah tell me. But you knowlah, I sometimes ingat, sometimes tak ingat! Now must ingat already!

    Hope Justin gets well soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wah.... scary! I would have freaked out too! How I got Caitlyn to drink water (she use to hate it! Like poison!) I bought the tippe cup left it there and made her drink so e whenever....

    ReplyDelete
  10. if drink formula, then need to gargle. BF, no need coz bm is naturally "antiseptic", and it actually helps to prevent bacteria growth. Bf babies will also have less chances of tooth decay. Tat's wat the PD told me la...works fine with me coz i am also lazy ..hehe

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi Sasha,

    My boy and I(I am breastfeeding) had it last month..scary...it was THrush..the GP dunno until i voice out my worry(I read it on web before the symptom). Best you get it healed (both of you) else it can reoccur.

    Try see the lactation consultation ped...Dr.Koe at OUG.(let me know if u need the actual contact as I don have it with me now)

    ReplyDelete
  12. my 2nd girl got this kinda fungal infection a few times when she started crawling coz she sucks her finger. no worries ok. no pain one. just apply the ubat, after a few days ok already. must continue breastfeed coz breastmilk got super power to heal too. hehehe. oh ya...btw, it doesnt spread to me or my nen-nen.

    ReplyDelete
  13. aiks tis is the first time i heard of fungal infection... hope hes getting better now

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooops.... I also don't give Elyssa water after her milk. I heard about this tip b4, but somehow never "masuk kepala" until now !!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Uh-oh....get well soon! Thanks for sharing! Got new baby coming soon....

    ReplyDelete
  16. yikes, its really geli! glad to know that justin is fine.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous11:44 PM

    My baby had it last month. No worries. Doc gave some oral drops and some gel. Cleared in 2 days.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous2:47 AM

    ppl who insist breastfed babies must drink water should check their facts first. exclusively breastfed babies who had not started solids must NOT be given water because it will affect their systems. formula fed babies should be given lots of water because formula is harder to digest.

    it's unlikely that justin got the infection from your breastmilk direct from your breast. if it's expressed breastmilk or formula, then yeah, perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Old people..i mean generation know more than us..hope Justin better soon :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. yor...the white dots r indeed geli hor!! but since he's happy, there's no discomfort i suppose!
    yes, my old folks also told to feed sips of water after milk..thou the experts said no need. but i don't think there's harm to follow the old folks saying. justin, drink more water ya...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yeap, emily got this before and nothing serious. Just apply the oral gel given by the doctor. It will clear up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dyi Shan10:30 AM

    Was told by doctors and midwifes that breast feed baby no need to give water. i suppose when baby is older or when baby start to take solid food, then you start training baby to drink water.

    Was told by the midwifes that fungal infection no harm. Just apply some cream or gel it will go off in the next few days. But don't scrape it.

    Get well soon Justin!

    ReplyDelete
  23. But he's breastfed no?
    I thought (based on all those b-fing advice out there), for those babies on breast milk, you actually don't have to give them any water?

    Anyway.. hope it's not irritating to him.

    ReplyDelete
  24. ooh...never see anything like this b4, even when I was bottled feeding my first...don't remember giving her water after milk feed.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Looks familiar. I think my kids kena b4, when they were babies. But forgot wat we did. Maybe din even c dr or apply anything. Jes let it go away by itself. Hope Justin's inf clears off soon.

    ReplyDelete
  26. yes old ppl are always right! my mom told me to always clean gib's tongue and gums, and always give him water from day one. but like u, i know there'll be plentyyyy of things i'll forget when (whenever that is!) number two comes along!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Raelynne used to have this kind of white dots on her lips also... but not due to milk. Previously, she took antibiotics, so killed all bacteria including good ones, and this fungal thing developed on her lips. But it was okay... something like thrush.

    ReplyDelete
  28. oral fungal infection, oh i never know this. Thanks for sharing.

    I do heard of old ppl said, after feed them milk must give them water, i do that last time, if i remember la, and if babies didn't doze off. My confinement lady told me to use handkerchief or napkin and put some "gripe water" to clean the mouth and tongue.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow! That's quite a messy scene. Hope it wasn't painful for him. Yeala... now that he is bigger already. must feed some water liao.Take care... oh yea, dun take guava if you still want to have more milk. Guava will stop milk.

    ReplyDelete
  30. oohhhhhh... nasib i feed krys with water, whenever she finishes her milk. since day 1. mak ajar wan :)

    ReplyDelete